Monday 24 March 2008

Delia Smith on Frozen Food

Today I ate lunch at Lahore Buffet (review) restaurant in Ladypool Road. I ate so much that I could skip dinner. A review will be posted soon on Wonderbimringham.co.uk.

And in the evening I watched much discussed Delia Smith's new TV show accompanying her new book, Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking.

Whole thing did not make much sense to me. She introduced us to how to make hummus from frozen chick pea. Well, why shouldn't we use tin chick pea which does not even need to defrost, and virtually all the cooking books say that it is a viable solution? I am sure I will have harder time to find frozen chick peas than to find tin chick peas, which do not even occupy precious space in freezer and consume electricity.

She insists that it goes well with frozen Greek pitas. Come on! Where can I found them in Birmingham? (If you don't know, my husband is Greek and we have been looking for Greek pitas here for some years now).

Then frozen sea bass fillets grilled with bottled tomato sauce, and frozen scallops with garlic butter. Are we really need to be told how to do it? And these ingredients (frozen sea bass fillet and frozen scallops) are pretty expensive, and I don't want to ruin them with her "cheating" method.

Well, it was a dismal viewing. Really.