Wednesday 20 June 2007

Return from Pisa

Leaning tower of Pisa

I returned from Pisa yesterday after 8 days stay.

In the past, I lived in Pisa for 5 years, so I still have some friends there.

It was not really a vacation and I could not see around (except for Sunday), but I could meet old friends and absorb glorious Mediterranean climate.

Last time I visited there was two and a half years ago. The major change I notices was that the increase in the number of tourists. The airport was enlarged and many budget airlines like Ryanair started to arrive, bringing many more tourists from the northern Europe and the USA. The price of restaurants in the town centre showed quite a large (and unjustified, I think) increase. Friends told me that several large hotels were constructed and a couple of new ones were still to open, I did not see them personally (as they are in suburb, rather than in the town centre).

In the photo above is the famous leaning tower of Pisa. This is as near as I went to the tower, although I always stayed quite close.

I will write about the stay there in coming entries, although it is not my Brummie life.