Sunday 23 November 2008

Tribute to Red Guards - Tian Taiquan

I don't know if that is what he meant, but the Chinese artist Tian Taiquan's works currently exhibited in Three White Wall Gallery in The Mailbox, certainly feature distorted and abandoned bodies of female Red Guards of Cultural Revolution.





Today I happened to stroll into the gallery and was knocked out by the strength of the images he creates.

Obviously I did not photograph his works, but you can sample some of them on this website.

http://www.likailin.com/web/li.nsf/doc/BA6AAC418515E411C12574C40069D731

I was not particularly impressed by Mapping Beijing exhibition in Birmingham Museum & Gallery, but I liked this small exhibition entitled 'Tears of Eros' very much. The works are enough powerful to impress me who is not Chinese and has little knowledge of Cultural Revolution, so chances are that you don't need to be a sinophile to appreciate his works.

If you are interested, check out the above web site, and do pay a visit. It is held in Three White Walls Gallery in the Mailbox, until 6th January. Admission free.