Saturday 2 August 2008

Persian Food in a Tin

When I visit Middle Eastern Grocers (there are many in Birmingham), I often buy tin food. Not the ingredients, but those ready-to-eat food that I can just open the tin to eat.

I have tried some sometimes with success and sometimes less of it. This one I bought from Pers on Hagley road was a successful attempt.

Gheymeh Bademjan

It is a rather large tin, and cost me £1.29 as you see in the photo. It is Gheymeh Bademjan - stewed aubergine and yellow split peas with tomato.

This is what I found in the tin.

Gheymeh Bademjan

When I opened the tin, I was taken aback by the amount of oil, but on tasting it, I was really impressed by the flavour.

The red stuff is a half of tomato, and dark grey ball is a dried lime, usual ingredient in Persian stew. The peas were cooked to leave some bite and aubergine, which you don't see here as are hidden below the peas, was sweet and meltingly smooth. It was tangy both in smell and in taste. Regardless of the amount of oil, I did not find any difficulty in eating it.

OK. If you go to Persian restaurants or you are invited to an Iranian family, you will get the better version, but A) it costs much more than £1.29 in restaurants, and B) I am not invited by any friendly Iranian, I can content myself with this tin.

Well worth a try.